Our continued commitment to sustainability spans over 40 years when in 1970 the founding partners installed solar pool heating at several Los Angeles apartment communities. Today, our portfolio of apartments embrace the many wonderful benefits we receive through our mindful commitment to sustainability. We are proud to say we have reduced our carbon footprint in many ways over the last 40 years. Some of our more recent efforts include:
- 2016-Current: Installing over 3,000 solar photovoltaic (PV) panels across 26 apartment communities. Project will take approximately 30 months to complete and will offset over 85% of the portfolio's electric usage, an annual energy offset of 1,275,000 kilowatt hours. Collectively, the project is considered to be one of the largest multifamily PV projects in Los Angeles
- 2016: Installed 28 solar panels for thermal hot water heating at a 52-unit community in North Hollywood, CA
- 2016: Participated in the SoCalGas® approved On-Demand Efficiency (ODE) program installing on-demand recirculation controls in 22 apartment communities. Studies have proven On-Demand pump controls on water heating systems can reduce natural gas by approximately 20% and the electricity used to deliver hot water by up to 90%
- 2013: Installed solar thermal hot water heating across 24 apartment communities maximizing natural gas savings
- 2012-2015: Successfully installed solar thermal pool heating at 24 apartment communities
- 2017-Current: Retrofitting all community common area lighting with LEDs
- We improved roofs using an elastomeric white coating system, meeting California Title 24, LEED (Leadership in Energy & Environmental Design) and Energy Star ® requirements & helping to reduce temperatures inside apartments for residents
- All communities offer comprehensive waste removal and recycling solutions that prevent emissions of greenhouse gasses and water pollutants. All trash removal vendors strive to create public awareness of recycling and sustainable energy and are in compliance with California Assembly Bill 341, setting a 75% recycling goal for California by the Year 2020
- All apartment communities offer a Mohawk SmartStrand carpet with 0% moisture absorption that is certified Green Label Plus. Green Label Plus is a voluntary, industry testing program for carpet, adhesive and cushion products that establishes the highest standard for indoor air quality (IAQ) ever set by the carpet industry. The Carpet and Rug Institute (CRI) created Green Label Plus to identify carpets, adhesives and cushions that are tested by an independent, certified laboratory and meet stringent criteria for low chemical emissions
- Continued investment in drought-tolerant landscaping with irrigation control measures to help reduce water consumption
- All washing machines are equipped with technology that is Department of Energy compliant for energy & water standards
- 2013-2015: Replacement of showerheads, aerators, faucets, and toilets designed to achieve higher efficiency & performance. Collectively, the project will save the City of Los Angeles over 1,000,000 gallons of water year over year
Our goals are simple: maximize the impact our energy investments make for the environment and our residents. We continue to strive to provide apartment communities that offer sustainable measures that will endure for the long term.
We are proud the City of Los Angeles recognizes Berglas & Garfield as a Los Angeles Certified Green Business.